Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fly Fly Away, Not so Fast you Suspicious Character

As you might recall, earlier this month I wrote about the ease of flying for those of us with mobility impairments.  If you would like to have a read, it can be found here … Okay, so have you ever said something or in my case wrote something, then ate your words later..yep, this was one of those times lol…
The day starts off rather uneventfully – we are all very excited, the day we have been looking forward to for weeks has finally arrived – we are Texas bound J  We all woke up really early as our flight leaves at 7:00am, smiles on everyone’s face, our airport shuttle is there to pick us up as scheduled.  We even enjoyed the other couple the shuttle service picked up on the way… My understanding is they were headed to Hawaii for a week and they seemed really excited, as the gentleman in their party wouldn’t stop with the corny jokes all the way to the airport…. I think he’s one of those people that just likes to hear himself talk, but nonetheless, it was a nice ride J
We arrive at the airport, get our bags checked, and 50 bucks later we are headed into the terminal where a nice guy stands there waiting with a wheelchair for me…. I climb aboard, and off to the TSA checkpoint we go….this is where the fun begins…lol
We approach the checkpoint and the TSA agent asks for our documents, September gets everything out, hands it to the agent he gives it a glance and waves us on to the next agent… September walks up to the metal detector, walks through…..BEEP, BEEP.  The agent stops her…  Ma’am please make sure everything is out of your pockets, she checks and walks through again…..BEEP, BEEP.  Ma’am who else is with you today…um, the guy over there in the wheelchair and the two little girls… Well Ma’am we are going to have to pat you down, and him too since he’s with you (oh wonderful, I say to myself, a pat down, just what I was wanting, as I roll my eyes and look over at my wife lol)
Next thing I hear…male assist please…. Good morning Sir, how are you today?  Oh, I’m just peachy, and you?  Doing well, would you like to go to a private area for the screening or is here ok?  I think to myself, well I might as well get this over  and done with as quickly as possible…. Here is fine, I grumble under my breath lol..
Ok Sir here is how this works – what’s going to happen is I am going to do a complete pat down of you and when I reach “sensitive” areas I will use the back of my hand… I think, oh what great news instead of feeling me up with the front part of your hand you are going to use the back, what a relief… As he goes through the procedure, I look around thinking…nice getting frisked in front of all these people just what I wanted at 5:30 on a Thursday morning lol..  We all finally made it through, and the rest of the morning was rather uneventful, but it was quite the experience… Come to find out, the cause of us getting stopped was a metal ring embedded into September’s blouse…gotta love those fashion accessories of today…lol
The moral of the story - check all clothes for metal accents before flying the friendly skies…

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones