Friday, August 5, 2011

Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you are born to stand out?

Thursday night is always family movie night at the Covert home.  Last night was no exception, the girls get home, we eat some of that wonderful pot roast my wife made (if so inclined, that whole experience is provided here and here for your reading pleasure LOL)  As we flip through our vast array of online content provided by the fine folks at Comcast, we came upon a movie named What a Girl Wants  My initial thought was oh geez another ICarly or Hannah Montana type flick, just want I want to spend the next two hours watching LOL….  In all actuality, it turned out to be a great movie with great lessons I think we can all relate too in one way or another….
There was a line in the movie that really resonated with me…Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you are born to stand out?”It made me think of so many things in regards to my life as a person who has grown up with CP….When you grow up with anything that makes you “different”, you soon discover how much you want more than anything to be seen by everyone else as “normal”; how much you truly desire to fit into the physical cookie cutter mold of life that you think everyone else lives in who has two working arms and legs….The unspoken desire to be like everyone else…
As I have grown older though and had the opportunity to experience life more and more, I have come to realize that my disability has shaped the very man I am today….It’s made me a person who is very aware of others and a man who has compassion on others who struggle with whatever life happens to throw their way… I think the key in life is to be happy with the person God made you to be and to embrace the very things that make us different…We don’t all fit into the expected life mold, nor should we.  We should all embrace what it is that makes us the unique individuals we are, and live life embracing our God given gifts.
We all have moments when we feel like we just don’t measure up, but the next time that happens to you, stop and think about what it is that makes you unique and embrace that uniqueness, and think about the blessings you have been given in this life….and that will get you through….God Bless you all.
Until next time….


No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones