Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What Matters the Most

Another highlight of our recent Texas trip was getting to spend some time with my dad Jim, my stepmom Bonita, my Papaw Covert and his wife Bettye.  Because of the distance between here and there, we don’t get to see them all nearly as often as we would like…  As a matter of fact, I think it had been 4+ years since I had seen my Papaw Covert, so it felt really good to have the opportunity for a visit.   
If I had to pick one thing that most Texans can appreciate, it would have to be a good helping of southern fried catfish, and those of us in the Covert clan are of no exception…   So you can imagine my delight when Dad called to say we were all meeting up at Lee's Catfish & Steak House.   This is a relatively new restaurant to the area, so we were all excited to give it a go, and I am happy to report that we weren’t disappointed. J   We had some great catfish and hushpuppies and all the sweet tea we could drink.  Just when I didn’t think it could get any better, the band started to play… Live music, country cookin’, and time with family… who could ask for more….. We were blessed to have the time.
After an evening of fine country dining, we ended up back at Papaw and Bettye’s house where we all had some good laughs and time to catch up…   It was wonderful to see the girls have a chance to interact with their grandparents and great grandparents.  Not’s something they get to do every day, and that is a shame, but I am thankful for the time they were able to spend with them. 
Heck I even had some time to get Bettye’s computer back into tip-top shape before leaving, she can finally listen to those audiobooks she has been wanting to hear – I guess having a grandson that works in the technology industry has its advantages LOL….
You don't choose your family.  They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones